In this recipe, a variety of fresh vegetables are cooked in chicken broth and combined with a creamy cheddar cheese mixture which is seasoned with chopped parsley and ground black pepper.
INGREDIENTS (for 7 servings):
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup fresh chopped broccoli
- 3 cups water
- 3 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups milk
In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the pepper and onions in butter or margarine until tender.
Add remaining vegetables, water, bouillon, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer covered for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
Combine flour and milk until smooth; stir into pan. Bring soup to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Mix in the parsley. Just before serving, stir in the cheese until melted.