Masala means a spicy mixture. Vegetable masala is a mixture of vegetables like potatoes, carrots, peas and beans cooked with onions & tomatoes adding spices like garam masala powder, ginger and garlic powder.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 10 French-style green beans, chopped
- 1 quart cold water
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes - blanched, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 sprig cilantro leaves, for garnish
Place potatoes, carrots and green beans in the cold water. Allow to soak while you prepare the rest of the vegetables; drain.
In a microwave safe dish place the potatoes, carrots, green beans, peas, salt and turmeric. Cook for 8 minutes.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook mustard seeds and cumin; when seeds start to sputter and pop, add the onion and saute until transparent. Stir in the tomatoes, garam masala, ginger, garlic and chili powder; saute 3 minutes. Add the cooked vegetables to the tomato mixture and saute 1 minute. Garnish with cilantro leaves.