'Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face, Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!' Here's a tasty vegetarian version of The Robbie Burns Night sausage, passed on to me by some friends from Cape Breton.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 5 fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup dry red lentils
- 2 tablespoons canned kidney beans - drained, rinsed, and mashed
- 3 tablespoons ground peanuts
- 2 tablespoons ground hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/3 cups steel cut oats
Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat, and saute the onion 5 minutes, until tender. Mix in carrot and mushrooms, and continue cooking 5 minutes. Stir in broth, lentils, kidney beans, peanuts, hazelnuts, soy sauce, and lemon juice. Season with thyme, rosemary, cayenne pepper, and mixed spice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in oats, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 5x9 inch baking pan.
Stir the egg into the saucepan. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan. Bake 30 minutes, until firm.