A creamy roux-thickened milk and chicken broth based soup with carrots, potatoes and cheddar cheese. Season with dill weed, parsley and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups chopped baby carrots
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch chopped fresh dill weed
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
Using a large stock pot, saute onions, celery and garlic powder in butter, over low heat until onions are tender.
Slowly stir in flour with 1 cup of chicken broth to make a rue. Stir until well mixed.
Add 3 cups chicken broth, carrots, potatoes, parsley, pepper and dill. Bring to a boil and then add milk and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted, reduce heat to low and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.