This variation on everyone's favorite comfort food is a guaranteed pleaser.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 cup diced yellow squash
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1 small purple onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained and diced
- 1 (16 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1/3 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
COOK macaroni in a Dutch oven according to package directions; drain and set aside.
SAUTE broccoli and next 4 ingredients in hot oil in Dutch oven over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat; add macaroni, bell pepper, and next 5 ingredients, stirring until blended. Stir in beaten eggs.
POUR mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Top with tomato slices; sprinkle with bread crumbs and Romano cheese.
BAKE, covered, at 350 degrees for 15 minutes; uncover and bake 20 more minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
Reprinted with permission of Southern Living® magazine. All rights reserved.