Making your own baby food can be more economical, and it's easy! Potatoes, carrots, green peas, corn, turnips, cabbage and mushrooms are boiled in vegetable broth and then pureed.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 3 (10.5 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 turnip, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, bring vegetable broth to a boil.
To the boiling broth add potatoes, carrots, peas, corn, turnip, cabbage, mushrooms and salt. Boil for 40 minutes, or until vegetables are very well cooked. Drain.
Puree vegetables in a food processor or blender. Sprinkle the puree with brown sugar and stir gently. Store tightly covered in refrigerator.