This delicious tomato and meat sauce can be used for spaghetti or lasagna. The pepperoni gives this sauce an extra kick.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 (29 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 pound pepperoni sausage, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can mushrooms, drained and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
In a medium skillet over medium heat, warm oil and saute onions and garlic until caramelized; set aside.
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef until almost browned. Add onions and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
In a large pot over medium heat, combine tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes; bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer sauce for 15 minutes.
Stir pepperoni, ground beef mixture and green peppers into sauce; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Stir in mushrooms, garlic salt, salt, ground black pepper, onion powder, oregano and Italian seasoning. Simmer for 10 minutes and serve.