A great, quick, and easy cocktail sauce for shrimp. Also works well on clams, lobster, and other shellfish. The vodka adds an extra kick, but is not overpowering sauce. The fresh tomatoes add a more natural taste to the cocktail sauce.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2/3 pound peeled and cubed horseradish root
- 2 (1.5 fluid ounce) jiggers vodka
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
In a blender, combine the tomatoes, onion, celery and horseradish root. Cover, and blend until pureed. Add the vodka, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Cover, and blend briefly to mix. Transfer to a container, and refrigerate until using.