The perfect ending to the holiday turkey is this Greek-inspired sandwich served in a warmed pita. It is filled with lettuce, tomatoes, and turkey, and topped with a homemade cucumber sauce.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled, grated and squeezed as dry as possible
- 2 teaspoons red or rice wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 large pitas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled, halved and cut into chunky wedges
- 3 cups leftover roast turkey, pulled into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce (preferably romaine)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved and lightly salted
Adjust oven rack to middle position. Heat oven to 300 degrees.
In a small bowl, mix sour cream, yogurt, cucumber, vinegar, 1 minced garlic clove, and salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
Place pitas in oven; bake until warm and pliable, 7 minutes. Cut in half. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Carefully add onion; saute until spotty brown but still crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Add turkey, oregano and remaining minced garlic; continue to saute until heated through, another 2 minutes.
Serve, letting guests fill their own pitas with lettuce first, followed by turkey, tomatoes and cucumber sauce.
Find the Perfect Recipe from Pam Anderson.Copyright 2004 USA WEEKEND and columnist Pam Anderson. All rights reserved.