Everything in this recipe begins with bacon.. Lovely mushrooms are saut Eed in the drippings. The orange juice vinaigrette has bacon drippings stirred in. And when the final salad is combined, crumbled bacon joins the oranges segments, spinach, radicchio,
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 8 ounces bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup shallots, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 large oranges, peeled and segmented
- 10 ounces spinach, rinsed and chopped
- 1 medium head radicchio
- 6 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 6 ounces fresh oyster mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 1 (3 ounce) package enoki mushrooms
Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Remove, crumble and set aside. Reserve bacon fat.
Whisk together 1/4 cup bacon fat, orange juice, shallots, olive oil and vinegar.
In a large bowl, combine the spinach and radicchio.
Heat 2 tablespoons reserved bacon drippings in skillet over medium-high heat. Add shitake mushrooms and cook for 1 minute. Add oyster mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; add to greens and toss.
Pour dressing into same skillet and boil 2 minutes. Pour dressing over greens. Add bacon, orange segments and chopped hazelnuts. Toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish salad with enoki mushrooms and serve.