A spicy Japanese twist on the traditional cheese ball party appetizer. My friends loved it. Be sure to start moderately with Wasabi and season to taste. Serve with veggies or sesame water crackers.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 2 (8 ounce) packages fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 (4.25 ounce) can tiny shrimp, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons wasabi paste, or to taste
- 1 cup toasted sesame seeds, divided
In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, soy sauce, water chestnuts, shrimp, and 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds. Gradually stir in wasabi paste until you reach the desired amount of spice. Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
Remove the cheese mixture from the refrigerator, and shape into a ball. Roll in the remaining sesame seeds to cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve.