This thick chili with sausage, ground beef, tomatoes, coffee and beer is also spiced with wasabi!
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound spicy Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle dark beer
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon wasabi paste
- 3 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 2 Anaheim chile peppers, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, chopped
- 1 habanero pepper, sliced
Place 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pot and place the pot over medium heat. Cook and stir the onions, garlic, beef and sausage until meats are browned. Pour in the tomatoes, beer, coffee, tomato paste and broth. Season with chili powder, cumin, sugar, oregano, cayenne, coriander, salt and wasabi. Stir in one can of beans, bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer.
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat remaining oil. Cook Anaheim, serrano and habanero peppers in oil until just tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir into the pot and simmer 2 hours.
Stir in remaining 2 cans of beans and cook 45 minutes more.