Start your hot-weather meal with this easy, intriguing variation on the classic tomato cold soup.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 cups 1/4-inch-diced watermelon
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 seedless cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, basil or cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Process 1/2 cup of watermelon, along with the orange juice and oil, in a blender or food processor until pureed. Transfer to a medium bowl, along with remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve. (Can be made several hours before serving.)
Find the Perfect Recipe from Pam Anderson.
This recipe was originally featured in the USA WEEKEND article Make It a Cold One on June 27, 2004.Copyright 2004 USA WEEKEND and columnist Pam Anderson. All rights reserved.