A delightful flavor combination of peanut butter and tomatoes make this soup an unconventional favorite. Freezes and reheats well to be enjoyed all year long!
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, very finely diced
- 2 large bell peppers, (any color) finely chopped
- 6 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes with juice
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 (18 ounce) jar creamy peanut butter
- chopped roasted peanuts (optional)
Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Cook onion, bell pepper, and garlic until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes with their juice, vegetable broth, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
Add rice to soup and stir. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 25 minutes, or until rice is tender.
When rice is cooked, whisk in peanut butter and return to a simmer, and serve. Garnish with chopped roasted peanuts, if desired.