Everyone will love this thick, spicy chili made with textured vegetable protein (TVP), kidney beans, and all your favorite chili vegetables and spice.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1/2 cup texturized vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 (12 ounce) cans kidney beans with liquid
- 2 (12 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) container dairy sour cream
Place the textured vegetable protein (TVP) in water, and soak 30 minutes. Press to drain.
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, and saute TVP, onion, and garlic until onion is tender and TVP is evenly browned. Season with salt, pepper, 1/2 the chili powder, 1/2 the cumin, 1/2 the cayenne pepper, and cinnamon. Mix in honey, beans, tomatoes, green bell pepper, and carrots. Cook, stirring, occasionally, 45 minutes.
Season the chili with remaining chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper, and continue cooking 15 minutes. To serve, divide into bowls, garnish with green onions and cilantro, and top with dollops of sour cream.