This sauce is excellent over most grilled meats, including veal or beef medallions. Mushroom varieties noted are suggestions - substitute based on local availability or preference.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 ounces portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 ounces morel mushrooms, sliced
- 2 ounces chanterelle mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 6 fluid ounces beef demi glace
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Saute shallots briefly, then stir in all of the mushrooms. Saute until tender and translucent, about 3 minutes. Pour in red wine, and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in demi glace, and simmer for 6 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.