You will leave the table well-sated after a bowl or two of chicken and wild rice in a heavy cream herbed broth. Toss in a few diced pimientos for color.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 3 (10.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups cubed, cooked chicken meat
- 1 (4 ounce) jar sliced pimento peppers, drained
Combine the broth, water, and rice in a large soup pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cover. Simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, until rice is tender.
Saute onions in butter or margarine in a medium saucepan, over low heat. Stir in flour, salt, poultry seasoning, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly and thick. Stir in cream. Cook for 6 minutes, or until mixture thickens slightly, stirring constantly. Stir into broth.
Add cubed chicken and pimientos. Heat through.