Toasted slivered almonds, cream and chopped parsley are used to finish this wild rice soup made with chicken broth, onions and grated carrot.
INGREDIENTS (for 5 servings):
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice, cooked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/3 cup blanched slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup wild rice and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
In a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat, melt butter; add celery, carrot, onion and bell pepper. Saute until vegetables are tender.
Stir in flour, pepper, wild rice, water and broth. Bring to boil and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Stir in half and half, almonds and parsley. Heat until hot and serve.