Sweet potatoes lend an earthy sweetness to chicken and vegetables in a mushroom cream sauce.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can fat free condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (29 ounce) can sweet potatoes
Mix together flour, salt, and paprika. Add black pepper to taste. Dust chicken with seasoned flour.
Heat oil over medium heat in a saucepan. Lightly brown chicken. Remove chicken from pan, and set aside.
Saute celery, green pepper, garlic, rosemary and thyme for 4 minutes in pan drippings. Stir in remaining seasoned flour, condensed soup, and water or chicken broth.
Arrange chicken in a casserole pan with a lid. Place potatoes and onions around chicken, and pour seasoned soup over. Cover.
Bake at 375 degrees F ( 190 degrees C) for about 45 minutes. Remove cover. Bake for about 20 more minutes, until meat is done.