Orzo, a very delicate pasta, is tossed with a delicious cooked pineapple sauce, and then mixed with mandarin oranges, maraschino cherries, crushed pineapple, and whipped topping. Serves eight.
INGREDIENTS (for 7 servings):
- 1 (16 ounce) package uncooked orzo pasta
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (20 ounce) cans crushed pineapple, drained with juice reserved
- 1 cup mandarin orange segments, drained and chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta until al dente, rinse under cold water and drain.
In a sauce pan, combine the sugar, eggs, flour, salt, pineapple juice and cook over medium heat until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and cool.
Toss together the pasta and cooked pineapple juice mixture. Refrigerate overnight.
Break up chilled pasta with a spoon and mix in pineapple, mandarin oranges and cherries. Fold in thawed whipped topping, chill and serve.