Boiled Yukon Gold potatoes are whipped with evaporated skim milk and oven roasted shallots in this recipe from the American Diabetes Association.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 6 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup low fat, low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- ground black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- 3 small Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1/2 cup evaporated skim milk
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Place the shallots, oil, broth, thyme, pepper and salt in a small casserole dish. Cover and roast until the shallots are very soft and brown, about 45 minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven.
Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling water until soft, about 20 minutes. Drain and place the potatoes back in the pot over low heat to dry.
Heat the milk over medium low heat. Add it to the potatoes and beat with a mixer. Add the roasted shallots and beat again until potatoes are smooth.