This recipe from Cook's Ham makes a quick summertime supper that won't heat up your house. Potatoes, ham and onion are grilled, and then cheese is melted on for a fun outdoor meal that doesn't even dirty any dishes.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 1/2 cups Cook's® brand Bone-in Ham, leftovers or ham steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 9 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped *
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 medium tomato, seeds removed, chopped
Preheat grill (medium setting) **. Make foil packet by placing potatoes, onions and green peppers on the center of foil sheet. Sprinkle pepper over entire mixture and stir to mix well. Bring up foil sides and double fold top and sides to seal, leaving room for heat circulation inside. Place on grill for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Remove from grill; add cubed ham, stirring slightly to mix. Reseal and return to grill for approximately 10 minutes. Remove from grill and sprinkle cheese & tomatoes over entire mixture. Return to grill, leaving the packet unsealed, but the grill lid closed, and cook for approximately 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from grill and serve.
* Depending on the cut of your potatoes, you may need to adjust the cooking times.
** If you prefer to cook this dish in the oven, simply place foil packet on a cookie sheet in a preheated oven at 375 degrees. Bake for 60 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, and follow rest of instructions.