Please family and friends with this thick, colorful chowder--they're sure to ask for seconds.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 large red potatoes, cubed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender.
Stir in jalapeno, mustard, salt, paprika and red pepper flakes. Add corn, green onions and 2-1/2 cups milk. Bring to a boil.
Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually add to soup. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
Editor's Note: When cutting or seeding hot peppers, use rubber or plastic gloves to protect your hands. Avoid touching your face. Leave the seeds in for spicier flavor.© 2002 Reiman Media Group, Inc.