Family favorite to use that beautiful summer zucchini! Very simple recipe that tastes great accompanied by garlic bread! Very good for vegetarians, too.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large zucchini, peeled and cubed
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package uncooked pasta shells
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and cook until tender. Mix in zucchini and coat in the olive oil. Pour in tomato sauce and water. Season with oregano, basil, and red pepper. Dissolve sugar in the sauce. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
In a large bowl, mix sauce and cooked past shells. Top with cheese to serve.