This chicken dish is served over rice, and explodes with the flavors of India!
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 1 quart water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 chicken leg quarters
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 (6 ounce) can Italian-style tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard seed
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cubes chicken bouillon
- 8 wedges lime
- 1/2 cup sour cream
Bring the rice and 1 quart water to a boil in a pot. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and onion powder. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes.
Heat the oil in a skillet, and brown the chicken on all sides. Set chicken aside, and mix in the onion and jalapenos. Cook until tender. Pour in the coconut milk and 1 cup water, and stir in diced tomatoes with green chiles and tomato paste. Season with cumin, garam masala, mustard seed, cayenne pepper, and 2 teaspoons salt. Dissolve bouillon cubes in the mixture. Bring to a boil. Return chicken to skillet, and continue cooking 10 minutes, or until chicken juices run clear.
Remove chicken from skillet, cool enough to handle, and remove meat from bones. Return meat to skillet. Serve mixture over the cooked rice. Garnish with lime wedges, and top each serving with a dollop of sour cream.